What is Kairos?
Kairos is a International Ecumenical Christian based Prison Ministry. Kairos is Greek for "God's Special Time". It was started in Florida in 1976 and is an international organization with units being served in 29 states, 5 countries including Australia, England, South Africa, Canada and the U.S. Kairos is active in over 32 prisons in Texas
The mission of the Kairos Prison Ministry is to bring Christ's love and forgiveness to all incarcerated individuals, their families and those who work with them, and to assist in the transition of becoming a productive citizen.
What does Connally Kairos do?
Most of the residents come to a Kairos weekend for a variety of reasons:
Connally Kairos serves the Texas Department of Criminal Justice prison at the Connally Unit, located in Kenedy Texas. The Connally volunteers have served this prison since 2001. The Kairos weekend is 3-day short course teaching God's unconditional love for us through grace. We accept forty-two inmates per weekend, and put on two weekends per year.
During that weekend, 36-42 residents sit in groups of 6 residents, 2 lay people and 1 clergy. Each group takes on the characteristics of a family. The weekend includes presentations on Christian principles, meditations, prayer and sharing. Kairos helps to build a Christian community in prisons.
What happens when they come to Kairos?
- They hear stories about the food, two delicious homemade meals a day
- They are curious
- They get time off
- They are searching for acceptance, friendship, love
How can you get involved?
- Their lives are changed
- Many re-commit to Christ
- Many accept Christ for the first time
- Many commit their lives to the ministry of Christ after they get out of prison
- Most never return to prison.
Contact us at email@example.com for more information
- Volunteer to work on the inside team
- Volunteer for an outside support team
- Sponsor an inmate for a 3 day weekend
- Bake Cookies – Special instructions needed
- Make Placemats
- Write Agape Letters
- Create a prayer chain